vendredi 24 août 2018

New member with ‘91 Commercial 8 (5000 series, four speed, electric start) problems

MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
New member with ‘91 Commercial 8 (5000 series, four speed, electric start) problems
Greetings to all.

I’m a noob, so if I use improper terminology, please forgive me. I’ve been working on this beast on and off for about a year. The tractor belongs to friend, and I’m trying to keep it going, since neither of us can afford to replace it.

Last year I had to replace the 8 hp Kohler head, since a prior ‘significant other’ over tightened the spark plug and stripped the threads in the head (I was told that the helicoil repairs never last) It also exhibited fuel starvation issues and would stall after running for an hour or so. After replacing the head and head gasket, I also removed and cleaned the plastic gas tank, replaced the gas cap and fuel filter, rebuilt the carb, replaced the breather tube. I also replaced the rotten ignition switch and installed new terminals on the wiring harness to plug into the new switch.

This year the stalling was still occurring after about an hour of mowing, so I replaced the fuel pump for the fuel starvation (stalling) issues, but I haven’t been able to use it long enough to know if the stalling issue has been solved, for the following reason...

I thought I was in the clear, but while using it for the first time in a long time last month, it began spewing a brownish fowl smelling oil from the left axle housing where the axle exits. A local Gravely dealer told me that after removing the hubs, and end plates, the axles would just pull out, and I could more easily replace the parts. I found this not to be true. On inspection, there’s a fair amount (1/16”) of wobble in the left axle where it passes out of the housing. So I ordered and have received new bearings, axle seals, and axle housing gaskets for both the left and right sides.

So I’m assuming that if I remove the axle housings, that they will slide over the axles, the axles will stay in place, and I will be able to replace the seals and bearings which are probably stuck in the axle housings, without everything else in the differential falling out of the housing?

Also expect to need to clean the foul ‘brown oil’ out the tranny. Would a spray carb cleaner and compressed air be ok to clean things out before reassembly? Should I use permatex on the new axle seals, new axle housing gaskets, or new axle bearings when I put them in the axle housing.

I also need to mention that this is currently only a “1 speed” tractor. Neither of the speed selectors will alter the speed of propulsion. Currently, it works with the ‘Range’ control in low range, and the ‘speed’ control in high. I may not be able to fix this right now unless it’s simply an adjustment to be made.

Anything else I should do while I’m in the transaxle? How much 90 wt oil will I need to refill the transmission case? Does anyone know what the torque values are for the axle housing bolts and end plate bolts for reassembly?

There may be other issues, and questions, but I’ll wait and address them in another post to this thread.

Thanks to all who might be able to help.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Front dethatcher on mulching mower vs rear dethatcher
Please excuse me if this is a silly question, as I'm new to this.

I see how dethatching a lawn makes a bit if a mess, which thereafter ought to be cleaned up.
Does it make sense to use a front detacher on a mulching mower, and to simultaneously mulch up the thatch?
Or would it be better to use a front detacher and a power bagging system?

Either way, I'm not seeing the benefit of a rear detacher, which would seem to require two pass throughs : one to dethatch, and one to clean up.

Any and all insights appreciated!
Lawnboys Just Seem To Find Me
Well just picked up another Lawnboy yesterday. That makes 12 mowers. One of our members who lives in town here had brought the latest acquisition by last fall to show me and had offered to sell it to me then. At the time I had just received back two mowers from my daughter in law and had no room so I told him to bring it over in the spring and I would check it all over, clean it up for him, and return it. Well he called me last week to see if I was interested in it and for some reason I said yes. I have a soft spot for pre 1982 Lawnboys, especially 19" cast staggered deck Lawnboys, and this fit the bill. It is a 5247 and appears to be a 1980 model. This is the 4th model 5247 I have. The first, a 1982, came from eBay from an old MTF member back in 2010. The second was from and old fellow in Cedar Rapids who was moving into a condo and needed to pass the mower along to a new owner. It is also a 1982 and was only used about 10 or 15 times and then stored away. Even came with the original mower box. It is the closest I will ever get to a NOS vintage mower and is in immaculate condition. The third is a 1978 and is from the same seller as #4 came from.
Spent most of today cleaning, degreasing, polishing, etc. The handle chrome came out really nice and the original handle grip has almost no defects. Handle brackets and trailing shield are in great shape and cleaned up nicely. The carb was removed and cleaned, mounting surface trued, new mounting gasket, new filter, fuel shield, and new fuel and primer lines along with a new primer bulb to replace the discolored one. Replaced the upper and lower seals as the lower was leaking so I changed them both. No spark turned out to be rusty flywheel and mounting points. The M wheel bolts were in pretty nice shape except for the front two so they were replaced with two nicer used ones from my stock. Removed the starter, disassembled, cleaned the spring, re lubed with some Lithium grease, and re assembled with a new pull cord. Checked ports and they were clean and installed a refurbished muffler, the other to be cleaned later on the grill. Sharpened and balanced the original blade which appeared to be lightly used and re installed and oriented the blade. Still need to install a toe guard which is ordered and I ordered a set of replacement decals from GraveyardMowerz. Needs just a little touch up paint on the left side but overall in really nice shape with no cracks, chips or breaks in the deck.
I will post some pics up ASAP. Now I need to find a good home for the 1978. I thinks my neighbor may be interested. We'll see. Bill
Pallet Forks for Mahindra Max 26XL
I'm looking for pallet forks for my Mahindra category 2 tractor with quick connect & 26 HP to use for large round bales and pallet pick up. I don't want clip on forks to the FEL. I contacted the dealer and they said the max weight for my tractor is 900 pounds and forks would not work and my tractor would tip over, the back wheels would lift off the ground or the arms would bend. They recommend I trade in my tractor and upgrade. I reviewed my tractor's spend and it states "Lift Capacity to Full Height at Pivot Pins 1,402". The hay bales would only be lifted from the back of a pick up and transported to a pallet.

I am looking at the Titan Skid Steer 42" pallet forks with 49" bale spear that has a weight of 105 pounds. Round hay bales weigh approximately 1,200 pounds and would not be raised to full Height. The dealer states it could ruin my tractor, I think it would be OK. I don't want to spend more money on an upgrade. Any thoughts?
Bolens 853 Throttle Linkage
Hello,

Can anyone send me a clear picture of the throttle linkage on the carb and near the top of the carb where the idle screw/throttle butterfly is? I have a manual but the picture is very dark. Just curious if I’m missing any parts/springs for the carb.
What is best for skid trail mowing?
Hello,
I recently bought 18 acres and had it logged. I'm a city boy, and I have a skid trail full of weeds that I want to maintain (some of which I want to plant bluegrass) and have a system of walking trails. I have a Husqvarna with a 48" deck that I have used in the city on my 3/4 acre lawn. In my area there is a JD x749 for sale with a 62" deck. This machine weighs 1200 lbs and has a lot more power. It's going for a good price. Would that be overkill for mowing about 1500 feet of skid trail? The skid trail is not perfectly smooth, as you might imagine. I don't really want to go with a farm machine, but what would be the best machine for managing a 10 foot wide skid trail, with occasional 8" ruts here and there? Perhaps my Husqvarna could manage it; I have not transported it here yet. I will probably always have fallen trees or large limbs to deal with, so something that can lift or drag heavy things would be useful. The deck on that x749 is only 6" off the ground; that concerns me.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Dave
318 won’t stay running
Hello all, I have a new problem ~ the engine will start but once I ease up on brake it dies, thoughts?
Starting problems with ford 8n
I've owned a 1948 Ford 8n for a decade or more and use it around my 1 acre yard for clearing weeds and moving dirt. A few weeks ago it wouldn't start. I replaced the carb, points,condensor, plugs, plug wires, wire harness and even gave it a new radiator and hoses along with a fresh paint job. Still it wouldn't start. So, I removed the head and found that the #1 and #2 exhaust valves were stuck open (did a compression test first and 0 compression on 1 and 2 with 90 on 3 and 4). I lubed the valves with nearly a full can of wd 40 and finally got them working again. Put a new head gasket on and reassembled all the parts. Still no start. It is getting fresh new gas from a cleaned out tank and shows 3.5 volts only getting to the new coil but still no start. What am I missing? Is it destined to become yard art or a parts tractor. Suggestions/ideas desperately needed.
Greetings to Everyone (Virgin Poster for Just a minute)
Howdee Everyone!

Getting this first post out of the way to get down to business.. Ha..

Bought my first Tractor a couple weeks ago..
1984 Ford 3910 Ag 4wd, with Ford 776 Front End Loader and a Woods Do All Backhoe, and a new Kodiak HD 7' Box Blade.

I really know very, very little about tractors.. Spent several days finding all of the correct filters, etc,, and am pretty sure that the oils, etc,, I have on my list and some ordered are the right ones to do a complete fluid change/grease job and detail check and learn session on the tractor..

I Rode the tractor around a bit on the first day to get the feel of it, then,, two weeks later, I started the first job with it.
It wasn't an easy job.. Up in the edge of the woods to pull some logs/trees out of the creek bed that was diverting the creek across my yard in heavy rains..
I figured if it held up for this one/first job, I would be pretty pleased with her...

Needless to say, old things require maintenance, and this old girl is no different..
Still as happy as I can be.. The tractor did awesome,, until,,,,,,,,,,,!

I had a (ball joint/Tie Rod End - Front one) on the main steering draglink from the Power Steering box to the front left Wheel pop off..
In my search to find the part I was looking for, I found a thread here from April/May of 2016, where a couple of guys were hard at finding a solution for the same problem I have.. Sure was hoping to see what user Kboy420 came up with, to reduce my research for the specific parts, but, the thread just stopped.. :tango_face_sad:

I figured, I might as well ask a few questions and when I get it figured out and fixed,, post what parts I found and used and how I fixed it and hopefully the next guy who finds out this draglink is $485.00, can do the same and not have to spend as much time finding the parts for the solution.. So, here I am, and this is where I will be..Ha..

I'm not sure if you can tag someone in a post, but, I sure would like to get some input from the original posters: Nouveau Redneck(still posting today), Joecdeere(still posting today), and the guy I would really like to ask how he came out,,, KBoy420(last posted 06-08-2016 which was about 3 weeks after this thread ended on 05/22/2016).. :tango_face_sad:

https://www.mytractorforum.com/20-fo...l-joint-2.html
Will have to wait until I can post my first post elsewhere before that happens.. Meanwhile, I will be looking for those or that special part that I need..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	UnloadingPic.jpg
Views:	N/A
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	2330135  

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire