lundi 29 février 2016

Gearbox Gaiter

Recently my Espace MkIII Diesel 52 plate snapped a gearbox control cable (5 speed box) - I've managed to source a replacement, but whilst rolling around under the car extracting the old broken control cable I noticed that the rubber gaiter on the gearbox end of the driveshaft on the passenger (lefthand side when sat in the car) is split.

Now, aside from the potentially obvious MOT failure that this will cause, would there have been any other issues caused by this split? I've seen somewhere that this gaiter also provides the gearbox oil seal, and if split then the gearbox would run dry! Is this the case?

Also how hard a job is it to replace this gaiter - I'm fairly practical (you've got to be when you've got an ancient landrover, and I've kept 3 Espaces on the road over the last few years, and they've never gone to a garage as I've don the work myself)... Is it a 'simple' job of removing the brakes, splitting the outer hub from the suspension arm (I've had these apart in the past when I changed the lower wishbone and I know they are *tight*!!), then undoing to 3 bolts that hold the inner gaiter to the gearbox ... slide the entire driveshaft out from the car, then replace the gaiter (after cleaning) and then re-assemble in reverse order - or are there things I need to watch out for / not do etc?

The 5 speed gearbox for the Diesel variant of Espace seems to have no documentation that I can find on the internet ... so any guidance would be really appreciated ... I don't really want to take it to a garage for something that could be a fairly simple job at home - especially as the car is up on blocks at the moment awaiting the new gearbox control cable! Oh and it's currently got no MOT to get to a garage so that sort of rules that option out...

Anyway, cut to the point - any clues / instructions / guidance / dos/don'ts on replacing the inner gaiter on the left hand side of the car on a 5 speed Mk III Diesel Espace would be massively appreciated

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Gearbox Gaiter

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire