jeudi 21 janvier 2016

Renault Megane leaking oil and brown sludge in the cooling reservoir

Hey everyone,

I am new to this this site and am actually pretty thrilled to read all of the post and everything here, seems like a pretty well kept together group all things considering!

Well, I got myself into a pickle essentially. I just bought a 1996 Renault Megane with the KM7 7/20 under the impression from the person I bought it from that the only issues that the car had was the exhaust manifold and that it might be cracked. I test drove the car and everything and it drove perfectly fine. It has only 50,000 miles on it or 89,000 kilometers and it still has TÜV (MOT, I live in Germany) for another year and a half. I paid only 300€ for the car (should have been a sign huh? :P). So I told them I'd buy it and replace the manifold and what ever "little" problems it may have. Registered it, drove it home, then to work the next day and in the parking garage at my work, lo and behold, a nice little puddle of oil underneath. Now I should note that when inspecting the car, I noticed a little oil underneath the oil filter and asked them and the owner had said that they spilled some oil, so I didn't think none of it.

Well that night I drove it home and proceeded to take the manifold off to inspect it and see what the problem really was. Well, found out the problem was a loose bolt connecting the manifold to the cat pipes, but I decided to take it off anyway just to be sure and well, once again, lo and behold, the block was just drenched in oil, I didn't have any degreaser or a hose to wash it so I just used some paper towels and soaked up what I could. Also I should mention that one spark plug seemed to have oil around it as well (I didn't remove it). I also noticed the valves were kind of white as well. I started to then inspect the oil seals or anything else and they all seemed intact and then of course I thought of the dreaded head gasket and I guess it only makes sense since the cylinder head is spotless and just underneath is covered in oil. I then also opened the water reservoir and instead of it being filled with coolant and water, I found a nice consistency of brown sludge and a tiny bit of water. So I am assuming that the previous owner didn't take care of the cooling system and then things got to hot and blew it out or that the car is 20 years old and it just rotted out, one or the other but it doesn't matter I suppose.

So my questions are, what is the best way to access the intake manifold bolts and how does one deal with the timing on those things? Just mark the belt or the camshaft pulley in relation to the cylinder head and the crankshaft pulley in relation to the block? Also, with only 50,000 miles, would it be worth it to change the timing belt right now? I would obviously have to flush out the cooling system but would this sludge affect the function of the water pump therefore requiring a replacement one? I posted a picture of the manifold and wanted help identifying if this is a crack or just an imperfection. And last but not least, would anyone know who has any experience with Germany and how it works here, if auto part stores lend out tools such as torque wrenches and an angle tightener thing (Not really sure what it's called), I am from the States and usually we could get what we needed from Advanced Auto or something.

Would appreciate any help from you guys and I hope that this wasn't too lengthy, I am going to post some pictures as well!

Hope you enjoy the challenge!

Theamericankeefe

Currently in Theamericankeefe's garage:
1996 Renault Megane Hatchback 1.6i KM7 7/20

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Renault Megane leaking oil and brown sludge in the cooling reservoir

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire